Reply to post: Cyclists who treat pedestrians as a slalom course are idiots

NZ hotel bans cyclists' Lycra-clad loins

Pompous Git Silver badge

Cyclists who treat pedestrians as a slalom course are idiots

Pedestrian footpaths are expensive infrastructure built for pedestrian use. As someone who has paid his taxes for 50 years, I might expect to be able to use pedestrian footpaths in safety. Not so. Cyclists who pay no registration, display no licence plates, trample mores and break laws with impunity know they will almost never be punished. Except when they actually kill a pedestrian.

When they do kill a pedestrian, the excuse is motor vehicles kill ~200 people nationally every year. What kind of an arrogant excuse is that? As a pedestrian, I'm supposed to "get out of the fucking way you stupid old cunt". Not only do I not have eyes in the back of my head, the drugs I'm taking to keep me alive have the lamentable side-effect of generating spurious flashes in my peripheral vision area.

For those of you making the excuse that it's "only a minority of cyclists" you've got to be fucking joking! In 1957 I was actually run over by a car and narrowly missed on two subsequent occasions. I am narrowly missed by cyclists on Hobart city's footpaths at least a dozen times per year. Worse, it's legal for them to do so.

I suspect that x7's excellent suggestion regarding a walking cane and wheel-spokes will get me in trouble, but it might well be worth it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon