Reply to post: Re: it's easy - take off your rose tinted spectacles and back away from the pc.

How to not get pwned on Windows: Don't run any virtual machines, open any web pages, Office docs, hyperlinks ...

phil 27

Re: it's easy - take off your rose tinted spectacles and back away from the pc.

It also had no memory protection so a single bug in a single application could bring down the entire host machine. It also supported no concept of permissions or different privilege layers during execution, nor protection to prevent a simple text handler from suddenly writing bytes into the main control registers for the bit blitter and doing bad things for instance.

When you only ran a single application, didn't care about security and could just power cycle it when this happened then it was a minor annoyance. Today it would be unthinkable.

I loved the Amiga, but systems engineering has progressed significantly since. And I have a accelerated amiga and a peg2 ppc based machine running morphos next to me. And lovely as the peg2 is for demo's and being responsive, it also has no mmu and falls flat on its face fairly often.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon