Reply to post: Re: Yet another landfill flagship

HTC 10: Flagship goes full Google – but the hardware's top notch

Chz

Re: Yet another landfill flagship

You seem to believe that the battery is "non-removable". No. It's just difficult to remove. For an end user without the right tools, at least. That is exactly the same as your automobile analogy. In the tiny, cramped spaces of a modern car, only people with skills and the correct tools can replace a battery easily. Everyone else takes it to an expert. Phones are the same. I've replaced a Nexus 5 battery before - easy as pie with the right thingamabobs. I've also done a Hudl2, but I didn't have the right shims and whatnot so it doesn't fit completely snug any more. Call it a lesson.

For extra juice on the move, the extra packs are a superior solution to power cycling the phone and ripping the back off. There are ones the size of your thumb for carrying around with you, and ones the size of a good paperback to use when you can put it down for an hour or two. Added bonus that the large packs are equivalent to *several* extra batteries, which I think would be difficult to keep charged at all times. Mine will charge an iPad at full speed, so it sounds like you've just used duff ones for speed. For safety concerns, an enclosed battery pack is *much* safer than a spare battery with exposed contents rattling around. Both are banned from hold luggage. Packs a specifically allowed in cabin in EU/NA at least, but they don't like the look of bare batteries.

There are definitely people out there who can justify a need for an easy, user-replaceable battery. But you're going to have to realise that there aren't very many of them and accept the limited choice this brings you. Go buy a G5, it'll be a great phone once they work their usual LG QA kinks out of it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon