Reply to post: Re: What tha..?

How to not get pwned on Windows: Don't run any virtual machines, open any web pages, Office docs, hyperlinks ...

Aniya
Trollface

Re: What tha..?

How certain are you that Microsoft haven't snuck in a presently-dormant payload within one of the security patches which shall unleash itself in days or weeks to come to the "surprise" of those who haven't yet caved into their demands to install Windows 10? :P

Everyone will be caught off-guard and left wondering where the hell the latest nag or forced download and upgrade came from.

In all seriousness though I did give Windows 10 another go just a week ago. Still doesn't fly. My two major complaints (forced driver updates and configuration parameters which have a mind of their own) are still not resolved.

As a simple test; I installed the latest available ISO build of Windows 10 on a test system with its network interface disconnected and then set it all up. My privacy preferences, various operating system and application preferences, and so on. When I was done I hooked the network interface up and had Windows update itself. All good. Except that after the update half of my Edge preferences disappeared. At least one privacy setting and file association changed itself. And the "new" audio driver which Windows Update installed (which was in fact older than the one I installed manually) failed to install and broke the one which I manually installed. Now one could argue that RealTek makes crap drivers, but this is why I demand to control my own driver installations.

Sigh.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon