Reply to post: I'm surprised HIPAA would even allow use of Android devices

Call the doctor... no, call security. Docs' mobiles are hopelessly insecure – study

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised HIPAA would even allow use of Android devices

Don't they have security requirements for devices containing medical data, similar to the requirements for PCI compliance? Though I guess you can say you're "fully patched" if you have the latest OS available for your device, nevermind that it is two years out of date with dozens upon dozens of critical exploits left unfixed.

Given all the ridiculous markups in the health care field, surely there's enough money sloshing around for them to create a custom version of Android that takes away the ability to root it, takes away the ability to install any apps except those installed by the reseller, etc. If people are using bog standard Samsung slabs and able to download and run whatever they want from Google Play, I sure wouldn't want my medical records to ever touch such a device!!

If nothing else, using standard Android would no doubt insure my medical data found its way to Google, who I'm sure would be happy to add it to their database that keep on me. If I visited the doctor for high blood pressure, next time I was surfing the web I'd start seeing a lot of ads for Lipitor...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon