Reply to post: Re: So I'm curious

You can't dust-proof a PC with kitchen-grade plastic food wrap

Roland6 Silver badge

Re: So I'm curious

What's the normal trick for dustproofing a computer?

Well taking my cue from the article (ie. cheap and using components that are readily obtainable in most high streets) and assuming the computer is more of a i7/Xeon workstation than a fanless all-in-one...

The first thing is to get rid of the external fans and filters! as these will get clogged unless regularly maintained. So what you need is to install the computer inside a sealed box with a refrigeration system and a container of silica gel - a bit like an old water cooled mainframe...

So the DIY approach is potentially an old freezer with some modifications to facilitate cooling... Obviously, even here the cooling panels will attract dust and hence require periodic cleaning - which can be done with a broom....

More seriously (ie. you have micro/SMB clients who actually want to use computers in 'challenging' environments where the air contains dust, solvents, grease and other grime but aren't prepared to pay the full costs of a proper solution), there is a market in secondhand rack cabinets which, if you have a van and so are able to collect, you can pick up the "professional" version of the above for a small fraction of the price of buying new.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon