Reply to post: Re: That is quite some arrogance

Internet users don't understand security or privacy, says survey

Seajay#

Re: That is quite some arrogance

"The "dark net" is defined as anything that can't be accessed by the government at whim"

Really? That's a new definition for me. So you would include https://www.admin.ch for example as part of the "dark net" on the basis that our government can't access everything within it?

"1) Is casting a vote for the government to have access to *everything* and 2) Clearly doesn't know what they're talking about."

1) In the physical realm the government has access to everything, the police can (with a warrant) go anywhere and search anything, there are some other official bodies like Customs and Excise who have even more powers. If we're happy that the legal system, acting through authorised police officers, is able to come to my house, break open my filing cabinet and read my diary, why aren't we happy for them to read my Whatsapp messages under similar circumstances?

2) Now you (or indeed I) might not agree with the argument I've just written above but I don't accept that only someone who doesn't know what they are talking about would make it.

"Even if you trust your current government; who's to say the next lot will hold the same high...cough...ethical standards as your current crew?"

The government has tanks. If you're concerned that the goverment are out to get you, you're pretty fucked. The way to fix that is by being democratically involved and holding the government to account and by ensuring that the government's ability to snoop is transparent and accountable. Giving digital communications a privileged status on a par with medical records or lawyer client confidentiality does not seem like the right way to do it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon