Reply to post: Didn't realize there were more data dumps to come

Iceland prime minister falls on sword over Panama Papers email leak

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Didn't realize there were more data dumps to come

I was surprised that there were no US politicians in the list, but I guess if we've only seen 1/6th of it so far that makes sense. Maybe whoever is deciding the order of release has wants to hold up the US release until after the primaries are done so to maximize the fallout.

Interestingly I think the two front runners, Trump and Clinton, are unlikely to be involved. Trump, because most of his holdings are real estate and with his ego he wants everyone to think he is richer than he really is, rather than trying to hide his wealth. Clinton, because her and her ex-President husband derive almost all of their income from writing books and making speeches, and that income is already well reported since they've been covered under disclosure arrangements for most of the past 25 years. Cruz's wife works for Goldman Sachs - if there was anyone who was going to be connected to this sort of scheme you'd think it would be someone working for that firm.

But it would likely hit many current and former Cabinet officials, along with plenty of Senate and House members. I'm sure any of those who have dealings with that Panamanian firm are readying their talking points, hoping to do a better job of defending themselves than the tongue tied Icelandic PM!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon