Reply to post: Try a 6' x 3' x 6" thick' solid SLAB of individual red-white twisted pairs.

Cabling horrors unplugged: Reg readers reveal worst nightmares

Black Betty

Try a 6' x 3' x 6" thick' solid SLAB of individual red-white twisted pairs.

It was the main telecoms room of an office building in North Sydney. I took a squiz when the Telecom bloke hooked us up after an office move.

For thirty years, each new phone connection had got it's own brand new twisted pair between Telecom's connector strip and the building's. None of the older patch wiring had ever been removed, simply disconnected and left floating in the breeze. By the time of our move, the only thing that could be seen of the racking was the tips of the hooks the wires laid in. The newest were actually tied to older wires with scraps of wire.

The ridiculous thing? Those old disconnected wires came out (sometimes in handfuls) like they were greased with owl poop. What probably started with laziness while there was plenty of space gradually morphed into NOPE! as the tangle became thicker and apparently no-one had ever been game enough to tug any loose ends.

We tugged a lot of loose ends that day. I reckon I was shorted, but I still got well and truly shtonkered on my share of the proceeds.

Sometimes though, there's something to be said for the simplicity of a bunch of keys and a length of jute twine. The results aren't really pretty, but they are quick.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon