Reply to post: Re: Don't blame users for the UI

Mud sticks: Microsoft, Windows 10 and reputational damage

Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Don't blame users for the UI

"MS first started pissing me off when they introduced the Ribbon UI."

It took you that long?

MS first pissed me off when I had to reinstall Windows 3.something (0? 1?) over 20 times. Started running linux in my office in 1993 and have never looked back.

There's a difference between annoyance (things could be better) and being pissed off (why have the fuckers done this stupid thing?).

My experience with Linux dates back to the 90s. Font-handling sucked big time. Couldn't share my (postscript) printer with SAMBA. The SAMBA devs told me they were using NT4 ws to share their printer. No driver for my (Adaptec) scsi adapter so no access to my CD burner. Apparently there were drivers for Yum Cha scsi adapters, just not Adaptec. Etc.

Never ran Vista. Was asked to fix a LeNovo notebook running Vista for a friend. Got thoroughly annoyed with UAC and had to admit defeat.

Happily running Cinnamon Mint now, though there are some annoyances. Example:

On the machine I use for playing music (2,500 titles, mostly FLACs), the volume control works in the most peculiar fashion. Hard left is sound off. A smidgeon (or perhaps tad) to the right is close to full volume. A little further right the signal overwhelms the input stage of my Rotel amplifier. Further to the right still, the volume decreases (WTF!). I haven't tried beyond the tick mark labelled 100%. Finding the sweet-spot required slowing down the mouse pointer speed to minimum. At least the control does something useful (Mint 17.3). The control in Mint 17.2 did nothing!

I'm still trying to find an equivalent player to Foobar 2000. No bling, just works. I hate bling. Creating a playlist in the Linux players I've tried so far is slow (no drag'n'dropping of folders) and presumes you are going to save it. That's something I very rarely do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon