Reply to post: Re: Even Windows 7 has sometimes weird UI behaviour

Let’s re-invent small phones! Small screens! And rubber buttons!

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Even Windows 7 has sometimes weird UI behaviour

As Solmyr ibn Wali Barad pointed out, that's actually the Intel display driver, not anything specific to the Dell machine. Still good fun.

Another nifty option on some Dell Latitude laptops is a "turn off the lights" key combination. It's Fn-B on mine. It turns off everything that emits light, except the (mind-blowingly stupid1) light on the power cable. While it's a great feature for keeping the hotel room dark while leaving the machine on to do overnight backups and such, it also makes a handy prank.

Unfortunately it has to be enabled in the BIOS settings and I think is off by default.

1On the model I have, this is a bright-blue LED shining through a ring of Lucite formed into the sheath for the barrel plug on the power cable. It's bright enough to light up a hotel room adequately to walk around and avoid obstacles, which means it's fantastically annoying when you're trying to sleep. And because it's a ring, to disable it you have to wrap the electrical tape around the whole thing, which means said tape is more prone to gradually working loose, getting dirty, and coming off like an old adhesive bandage. Whatever designer added this light should be forced to keep one on in his bedroom for a year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon