Reply to post: listening with one ear

Mud sticks: Microsoft, Windows 10 and reputational damage

Paul Shirley

listening with one ear

I'll concede Microsoft are listening a lot more than before. They still aren't hearing very much and mostly only acting on what they want to hear, compounded by the insider programme having a strong bias towards being a cheerleading camp. Whatever design damage insider is doing was and is being orchestrated by Microsoft.

Ordinary users are being constantly spied on, to find out how imposed changes are working but not actually being listened to. Not quite "take it or leave it", more working out how to discourage patterns Microsoft don't want. Ultimately this whole mess (and Win8 before it) is Microsoft putting their narrow business interests above customer needs and they still have the monopoly power to dictate to users.

Andrew is also somewhat wrong about the quality of Win10. I'm mightily pissed off with updates hijacking my file associations several times a year, with it installing known bad drivers, rebooting my network pvr server at will (and crashing doing it), still needing 3rd party hacks to its ui and the endless battle to find compatibility settings for so many apps. It's still a mess with fairly minor core improvements.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon