Reply to post: Re: And that ...

Don't – don't – install iOS 9.3 on your iPad 2: Upgrade bricks slabs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: And that ...

But how many BRICKED Win devices have you had?

I care about productivity. I know for a fact that as soon as the word "update", "patch" or even worse "new version" appear I'm heading for potentially serious downtime, and especially the "patch" part has been very, umm, patchy. THAT was the unexpected discovery when I bought a Mac for research, followed over time by the realisation of just how much usability Microsoft destroyed in its search for new features to sell its warez.

You will not hear me claim that *ANY* platform is perfect, I'm too realistic (and too old) for that, but I can tell you what allows me to spend more time working rather than fighting to keep it safe and working, and it's nothing made by Microsoft.

If you want an indication of how much Microsoft cares about your productivity, let me point at a feature they introduced over 2 decades ago that is STILL blighting productivity today: the inclusion of formatting data with a text paste operation, instead of just pasting plain text. I ended up being a sort of "document rescuer" in the previous decade because I could take a document that was crashing in Word because of all the formatting fragments scattered around by paste operations, take it into OpenOffice and clean it up. It's still the default, and in alternatives like OpenOffice and LibreOffice, some utter idiot came up with the idea to insert a menu in the path of an unformatted text paste ("Paste special" => pick from &^%$ menu) so you can't even swap over the functionality.

Here we return again back to Mac native code: they still don't make a plan paste a default, but there is at least a single command for a plaintext paste called "Paste and match style". That's productive.

(slight aside: one of the reasons this is a mess is because few people ever get taught about the difference between content and style, and so produce complete monsters of documents, even professionally. Personally, I would make a month using LaTEX mandatory)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon