Reply to post: Re: When I was at school ...

Microsoft's equality and diversity: Skimpy schoolgirls dancing for nerds at an Xbox party

Steven Roper

Re: When I was at school ...

"When I was at school ... the girls didn't dress like that."

Wrong school, wrong country, or wrong era perhaps?

I went through two diifferent high schools in the late 70s/early 80s, in Adelaide, Australia. Girls back then did wear school uniform dresses, which were generally some variation of a gingham or checkered style pattern; I don't recall any being tartan or plaid for any of the schools in my area.

The length of the dress depended on the time of year and the girl wearing it. In winter, dresses tended to be half-calf length to knee length overall. In summer, the "geeky" girls tended to keep their hemlines below the knee or at most only just above it. But the "popular" girls, on the other hand, wore their hemlines as far up their thighs as the school would allow - generally revealing between 1/2 to 2/3 of the length of the thigh while standing, and a lot more than that when sitting down!

Then there were the PE outfits we wore for sports: T-shirts on top, boys generally in footy/rugby shorts that left most of our legs exposed, girls wearing netball-style short skirts that revealed about 2/3 - 3/4 thigh length standing.

It appears, from the occasions I've had to pop into my local shopping centre after school lets out, that high schools today have much more conservative standards than they did back then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon