Reply to post: Bad for the Consumer

LG builds a DAB+ digital radio radio into a smartmobe

werdsmith Silver badge

Bad for the Consumer

Streaming services like spotify are bad for this consumer, because what they effectively are doing is charging me to deliver music that I already have a right to because I have paid for it already in some other form. 99% of the music I'm ever going to like and want to listen to has already been recorded and I have a copy of most of it. I don't really want to pay for it again.

And whilst broadcast tech is not perfect, it's mature and streaming as a delivery system is not either, it's got a long way to go. The variation on format on broadcast (meaning not just music) I find an easier arrangement than using podcast etc.

I've got DAB in the car now, and it's a big step forward over FM. I'm not concerned about audio quality because there are so many other noise sources in a vehicle that there is no way to listen critically. When DAB does drop out (very rare now) then FM will almost-seamlessly kick in - but then will also be suffering for signal coverage so is scratchy, but not completely seamless because many DAB stations just aren't on FM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon