Reply to post: Re: Unprofessional - @banalyzer

I beg you, please don't back up that secret directory full of photos!

2460 Something

Re: Unprofessional - @banalyzer

Completely agree, Discretion is everything.

I was recovering the HD from a friends machine the other week. He couldn't remember what was on it, but there he knew there was a family album on there that wasn't backed but he didn't know the path. As I was going through looking for it I also came across him and his missus's special album along with all of his other stuff (word/excel/mp3's). Meh. Not a big deal. Got it all recovered, rebuilt his machine and copied it back onto his new HD. When he came back over to collect I took him through using a password manager (he had them all stored in his browser with no master password set), better backup procedures and showed him how to use truecrypt for his intimate folders and told him which folder he needed to encrypt. Job done.

What is the big deal with someone storing their intimate pictures on their own computer? Should I try make him feel embarrassed because he and his wife like to take intimate pictures of each other? Is the idea that people have sex such a shocker? If I am helping someone out for free or even if I am being paid to fix their pc then that is what I am going to do. It really shouldn't be a surprise to come across items of this natures as part of the job. As long as I don't come across anything illegal I am fine. What other people get up to in their own time is their choice and I can respect their choices without it diminishing my own views and beliefs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon