Reply to post: I don't like what's going on, but ...

Oracle's old hands are supporting the support n00bs who support you

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I don't like what's going on, but ...

there are some aspects to keep in mind:

A) As some people rightly pointed out: who is ready to pay real money for good support? Not the decision makers who foot the bill, they don't feel the difference. So the customers are one of the forces driving the downward spiral as well.

B) Many big customers already outsourced their support to cheap countries where the partners have no clue about the business or the technology they are supposed to handle, Oracle simply mirrors that model.

C) The local economy someone pointed at is a relative thing. If you have been to Romania or know people from there, you may notice that e.g. doctors are either fresh on the job or very old, the rest is working somewhere in Western Europe. So creating jobs in Romania helps the country to catch up with the rest of the EU. Even if the folks from around your corner suffer for it.

D) At least the Romanian engineers are very, very far from being dummies. This may be true for some other regions, though, my experience is limited to Romania.

E) Linux and free software are nice solutions up to a certain size, many ideas are later picked up by the main stream, but switching an operation like General Motors away from closed software would be a rather bold move. And Oracle is allegedly going after the Fortune 500, not you car dealer around the corner.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon