Reply to post:

Good eye, Hubble! Space 'scope spots furthest-ever object

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

They design *some* resilience, but if something goes wrong, "poooof!". The Mars Rovers are among the exceptions, not the norm - and it was also a lucky event the solar panels gets cleaned by the winds. Curiosity won't be so lucky. Also, look at how many IR orbital telescopes can't work fully any longer because nobody can refill them with a bottle of liquid helium...

But Hubble wasn't only repaired - it was upgraded with newer and better instruments increasing its science capabilities - something you can't really do with some "resilience".

NASA contractors are exactly the military/industrial conglomerates. Probably you missed it - but they are exactly the same companies. Who has the capabilities to build such hardware? Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, & C. Do you believe there are some little civil only shops building those things?

But what is space exploration? Just a race, "hey, I put my foot there first! Now I won't be back in the next fifty years or more!" - or getting the capability of living and operate in space? The Shuttle was designed for the latter aim. The Apollo v 1.1 is for the former.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon