Reply to post: Re: Whichever way you slice it

Raspberry Pi celebrates fourth birthday with fruity version 3

Someone_Somewhere

Re: Whichever way you slice it

>its what they point to that is important.

AND how, but I'm prepared to be reassured, if you know more than I do and can explain it. :)

> Oh, and if you want to do heavyweight audio of video production - why on earth do you expect to do it on a $35 SBC?

I don't - I have a lot of /very/ expensive kit for that.

But I travel a lot and bulk/weight is an issue. Yes even a laptop makes a difference when you're hiking through some of the more far-flung parts of the world in order to meet your clients/collaborators, as I often have to.

Moreover, I'm working on a 'startup' project with a couple of people, for which a more powerful Pi-type device would be more suitable than a laptop/desktop could ever be - it just needs more RAM and gigabit ethernet to be what's required, not a supercomputer - acting as a portable/'pocket' server for clients who don't have/can't afford Internet access.*

> People buy Macs at $1000 for that, with as much memory as Apple can get away with charging for.

Some do, yes - those using ProTools/Logic.

Those using Cubase**, however /don't/.

Nor do those using Ardour.

Not all A/V is produced in Abbey Road/Hollywood and that which is often needs to be recorded elsewhere first*** - so the lighter the kit, the better :)

* and even those who can, can't necessarily make use of it on top of a mountain, in the middle of the Amazonian rainforest or deep in the heart of the Serengeti

** who vastly outnumber the ProTools/Logic contingent in my field.

*** the price conscious seldom set foot inside a studio and preprocess as much as they can first before they spend hundreds/thousands of $ unnecessarily - even small studios can cost not inconsiderable sums.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon