Reply to post: But I want it . . .

Microsoft urges law rewrite to keep US govt's mitts off overseas data

dan1980

But I want it . . .

"Smith said US cloud providers were also under pressure from foreign states to disclose data on US servers. Microsoft had been hit with a criminal fine in Brazil for refusing to do so."

Um, yeah. You know that recipient of so many pointed fingers: China? Guess what . . .

"[The SCA] had saved the US going through the much lengthier MLAT (mutual legal assistance treaty) process."

Yeah, and if you allowed law enforcement to just enter any property at will and detain people without probable cause and abolish their Miranda rights then it would 'save' them having to go through the 'much lengthier process' of getting warrants and going to trial and, you know, following due process.

Yes, international politics is sometimes messy and often slow and that can certainly result in delays in law enforcement actions. But that's the price of wanting to engage in international trade - you have to create treaties that lay down what can and can't be done and how - across a whole range of areas.

It's also the way you show that you respect other nations and their citizens.

But, given the most nations don't seem to respect their own citizen (and the US is right up there), it seems almost naive that they would even consider foreign citizens to have rights at all.

Actually reminds me of the end of Guardians of the Galaxy where Rocket Raccoon asks whether it's illegal to take something that doesn't belong to him:

Rocket: What if I see something that I wanna take and it belongs to someone else?

Nova chap: Then you will be arrested.

Rocket: But what if I want it more than the person who has it?

Nova chap: Still illegal.

Rocket: That doesn't follow. No, I want it more, sir. Do you understand me?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021