Reply to post: Bah!

FBI v Apple spat latest: Bill Gates is really upset that you all thought he was on the Feds' side

Stevie

Bah!

"In other words, what Apple has said repeatedly – that agreeing to create a version of its mobile operating system that can be used to bypass its phones' security would serve as a precedent for law enforcement to gain access to future phones – does appear to be true."

Coo, stap moi, never saw that coming.

Oh wait, yes I did, and said so.

I don't understand how others can be so bloody naive as to fall for the "just this once, eh?" line. I mean, haven't we all learned that a Utility is a One-off Job on its second or subsequent run? The thinking is endemic to the IT trade. You'd think people in the biz could spot it a mile away.

And then there're the Anti-Terrorist statutes that seem to be being a tad over-enthusiastically employed by the Five-Oh.

And then ther're the overly broad Sexual Offender laws that get misused in the same way.

And, of course, the RICO statutes. Intended as an emergency measure to dismantle otherwise untouchable organized criminal gangs, now used all over the place at the drop of a hat.

People are joking about who would vote for Trump, but the same thinking that puts Donald on the throne is in play every time someone says "well, it's just this one time, and very narrow circumstances".

We live in the age of overreach, and I'm beginning to think it will only stop when an exchange of EMP makes it impossible to communicate electronically.

What we need is Jorg X McKie and BuSab.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon