Reply to post: Re: Almost

'I bet Russian hackers weren't expecting their target to suck so epically hard as this'

DanielsLateToTheParty
Boffin

Re: Almost

The story in the article is mine, it happened to me last week. As Lysenko realised there were errors generated by badly formed SQL from requests with " '; " (hundreds as mentioned in the article) but none with " '); ". Serious errors like that notify me directly rather than waiting in a forgotten log file forever.

After dealing with that and patching in a hurry, I went back and grepped for the attacking IP address and found over 65000 requests. Most seemed to be completely benign. From using pen-test tools I know that the first stage is to spider a site and that generates the most traffic. Some attacks contained PostgreSQL or MS SQL specific functions which suggests they didn't know it was a MySQL site. So it looks like a mostly automated attack from a single address in a Russian IP block.

The forensic aspect is fascinating. Kind of like CSI only real. I'd love Register to do an autopsy of a more complicated attack some time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon