Reply to post: Re: Wasn't Gates...

FBI v Apple spat latest: Bill Gates is really upset that you all thought he was on the Feds' side

CheesyTheClown

Re: Wasn't Gates...

I use a term which I don't if it's mine or someone else's. I call it "Journalizing".

Journalizing is when a journalist performs and interview or "research" and digs up enough information to create an article. They will for the purpose of "integrity" ensure that decent journalists will always be able to identify references and provide proof that they aren't actually lieing that someone said something. But they don't need to say the whole thing.

As proof that my daughter has an excellent future in journalism, when she was three, she told the nannys at the day care that "Pappa drinks a lot". She was quoting her mother who told her that "Pappa drinks a lot of coffee". This meant we had to spend an hour in a meeting/counseling because I, a person who drinks approximately 5 liters (little more than 1 bottle a month) of beer annually was being accused of alcoholism. And of course, when a 3 year old accuses you of drinking a lot, you can't ever argue against this because then it's just denial.

I've worked with journalists over the years and I've learned that you should pretty much never take anything the say on face value because 99% of what you find interesting about them is journalizing. You always have to ask yourself "Was this the whole quote or a partial quote which sounds more fantastic when presented this way?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon