Reply to post: Re: Can happen to anyone...

Linux Mint hacked: Malware-infected ISOs linked from official site

Hans 1 Silver badge

Re: Can happen to anyone...

>First - this never happened to Microsoft and they are like a magnitude bigger target that is under attack 24x7. And they're running websites on Windows by the way.

It is written up there, happening for Windows 10 as well.

Now, the other day, I was chasing a Windows 7 ISO and came across a Microsoft answers page where an MVP offered links to download Windows 7 ISO from, one was pointing to a server that had "allegedly" been bought out, the download was a 2Mb exe, no ISO. The MVP was very "touchy" when I pointed out to him that the download was not "as advertised".

thepiratebay is full of infected ISO's, has been happening to Windows since at least Windows 2000, since it became feasible for the average punter to download such large files.

I have copies of the ISO's at home, but was over at a mate's that time, hd died, he just received replacement SSD and I improvised a WIndows 7 install... I have been fixing malware-infected Windows boxen for family, friends, friends of friends for over 10 years, and the last time I saw IE as default browser was A LOOOOOONG time ago.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020