Reply to post: Innovate, update layout, compete!

Streetmap's lawyer: Google High Court win will have 'chilling effect’ on UK digital biz

Andrew Jones 2

Innovate, update layout, compete!

Streetmap forgets who it's customers are though. The average person looking for how to get from A to B just wants a mapping service that provides a pretty picture of the route and some directions - Streetmap does not provide this, and Google are indeed correct - the reason I stopped using Streetmaps was because Google Maps was easy to move around and Streetmaps required me to press an arrow in the direction I want to go, and then wait for the entire thing to reload. Now - given a choice between looking at a Streetmap of an unfamiliar location via Streetmaps or dropping in to Streetview on Google Maps so I can actually see the street and mentally remember buildings and other "stand out" markers, so when I get to the location I know where I am based on the things I can see around me, I know what service I'll be using. If Streetmaps want to compete - they should compete, not stay stuck in the old days (though I note that their map is now draggable, that's a plus, but the layout is still very 2001 - the front page doesn't even fill the screen, it sits at the left hand side and fills about 58% of the screen and all the rest on the right is just empty space)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon