Reply to post: Windows 7 cut off date is October

Shopping for PCs? This is what you'll be offered in 2016

Wade Burchette

Windows 7 cut off date is October

I plan on buying a new laptop before October when Windows 7 is no longer available to OEM's. I will not get Windows 10, ever. I read the terms of service, I will not agree to them. If I pay money for software, I want to own that software. But the terms of service of Win10 says that it is not owned, only licensed. It also says that most but not all of the anti-privacy settings can be disabled. Whenever a company says "we value your privacy", they don't mean they respect your privacy, but that your privacy is valuable to them.

But Microsoft can win me back real quick. Make Windows 11 a clone of Windows 7 except with the performance improvements of Windows 8. That means, bring back the option for Aero, don't disable F8 ever, have a proper backup program, a logical and customizable start menu that doesn't try to force me to use your app store, no tracking, no forced updates, and I own the software. Seriously, the person who thought it was a good idea to disable F8 by default needs to be smacked in the head every day for the rest of his life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon