Reply to post: Re: George Santayana

Coding is more important than Shakespeare, says VC living in self-contained universe

MonkeyCee

Re: George Santayana

I prefer: "Those that study history are doomed to watch those who didn't repeat it"

I'm not sure how valid my criticisms of education would be, seeing as I never really appreciated how useful skills where when I learnt them, versus things I enjoyed learning that haven't had any real "value" other than I liked them. I would suggest that quite a lot of my university education (which I'm back doing) is designed to teach me more during the process, than as the actual end goal. So an essay isn't really about me producing a document, but the process of researching, fact checking, forming and arguing an opinion. The coding projects aren't about the product, but more about working in a team and dealing with task assignment and varying levels of ability.

So while I'm not a professional carpenter, I build and repair stuff around the house, using skills I learnt as a 12 year old at school. Same for doing a bit of sewing, or sketching something. Useful skills to have at a very low level, but no use for a job. If my coding skills where the same level, I'm not sure how I'd apply them in any useful sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon