Reply to post: Re: Degrees these days....

Computer Science grads still finding it hard to get a job

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Degrees these days....

I just hope you do not come over quite as arrogant in interviews.

Hardly matters, does it? Charles Manning said it how it is, offered some fantastic advice for anybody in a position to take it. Being on the hiring side of the table is a chore, those of us doing it aren't overly enthusiastic and treat it as a necessary evil, and we're even less enthused the more involvement there is from the wankers of HR.

Try hiring the right person when you don't get to sift the CVs and choose the interview candidates, and when your tosspot HR department insist on a scored "competency" interview with a minimum of two interviewers from the company. Last week I had to interview some Oxford grads. Given a free hand, any CV with an Oxford college on it would have gone straight on the "no thank you" pile, along with the spelling errors, poor presentation, mis-addressed, or impenetrable ones. But oh no, the twats of HR turned down all the people suitable for our company (big, corporate, dubious reputation, not a very good payer, but good work/life balance) and selected somebody who either won't turn up for interview, is only turning up for practice, wants to join us for REALLY BAD reasons, or will join, but leave inside six months for a job in London with bank, consultancy or the like.

Is it any wonder interviewers are miserable bastards? Mind you, I am good at that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon