Reply to post: @andy

When asked 'What's a .CNT file?' there's a polite way to answer

Kevin 6

@andy

Think that is bad when I worked helpdesk at a technical college that teaches programming, and repair I was called up by staff that their computer wasn't working.

ME: Did you turn it off, and back on?

Them: Yes its not starting

ME: ARE YOU SURE you hit the power switch?

Them: I'm not an idiot I know how this works!

Go over there the "power button" they were hitting was the picture adjustment knob gateway had on their monitors back then(this was around 2001)... I told them the computer is under the desk, and showed them the real button.

They got mad at me, and filed a complaint with my supervisor that I was treating them like an idiot... Note I didn't say, or do anything inappropriate... well that was till my boss called me in, and I told my boss I treated them with respect, and they were only mad cause they were embarrassed by their stupidity as they were a worthless piece of shit in a flesh suit.

I wish I could say that was the only call that would make me lose all faith with humanity, but it was a more mild one, and one of the early ones which is why I remember it so well... Ever have a networking teacher unable to log in as he forgot his password? Even when he never changed his password from his username, and have to show him how to turn off the caps lock key? I got a lot of complaints on me, but luckily the bosses figured out after awhile it was due to staff trying to cover their embarrassment after awhile.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon