Reply to post: Mondays work better..

Send tortuous stand-up ‘nine-thirty’ meetings back to the dark ages

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Mondays work better..

One of the most fun projects I've worked on started with sensibly doing a Monday morning meeting. Not only was that a gentler way of starting the week, it also focused on what needed to be done, rather than on what we had already done.

The only problem was that we had a director who insisted on leading these meetings, and he was one of those beings that combined a charisma bypass with a total absence of knowledge which meant he was evidently ripe for promotion (this was a telco). The result was that that meeting usually took about 3 hours, 2 hours of which usually spent on explaining things like "TCP/IP", "Unix" and "change control" to him so we could actually exchange the information we needed.

That "2 hours" above is not a random number: once I engineered Monday meetings for him with other, similarly affected "leadership" at the same time, instead of with us lowly people with actual skills, I typically got the team through all of it in under 1 hour, even if we had people who, post weekend, were drinking coffee from paper cups instead of crockery because it made less noise..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon