Reply to post: I know how this feels

Who would code a self-destruct feature into their own web browser? Oh, hello, Apple

Chewi
Linux

I know how this feels

I had a similar problem with Linux on my Vaio some 10 years ago. One day, it just randomly started freezing. Sometimes more than once a day but sometimes a whole week would go by. There was no rhyme or reason to it. It drove me crazy and at one point, I swore blind it was the graphics drivers and said some rather silly things in a Mesa bug report. Eventually I somehow got in touch with someone with the exact same model and within days, they realised it the was ACPI driver for the CPU. Sure enough, I blacklisted that and all was well. Turns out it wasn't Linux's fault though. When I later tried Vista on the same machine, it would barely even make it to the first setup screen before freezing up hard. This was exactly the same problem and I had to disable the equivalent driver there. That wasn't easy. I think I had to modify the ISO and then intercept the install to disable it again after the first reboot. If only I'd known how much Vista sucked beforehand.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon