Reply to post: Phone phishing for phun

Go phish your own staff: Dev builds open-source fool-testing tool

Kubla Cant
Trollface

Phone phishing for phun

I recently spent a few weeks at home. During this time I received at least three phone calls from India, telling me "Your computer is logging a lot of errors on the server". Their objective was to try to get me to install some kind of remote-access software.

The first time, I carelessly revealed my lack of ignorance, and the caller quickly ended the call. Thereafter, I decided that I'd see how long I could get them to spend talking to me, on the basis that during that time they can't be scamming somebody else. I kept them waiting while "the computer is starting up", then I couldn't find the Start button. When asked to type a URL into the browser I'd deliberately misspell it, then read it back with painstaking phonetics: "H for Henry - sorry, I think that should be hotel - t for tango, t for tango, p for papa, then two little dots and two diagonal lines...".

My record was 35 minutes, but a shorter call was more fun because the crook on the other end got really angry and started shouting insults down the phone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon