Reply to post:

Windows 10 will now automatically download and install on PCs

Andrew Jones 2

While it's devious - there is is at least one good thing about this -

it might encourage Microsoft to do something about the dreaded 32% / 6% drivers and features issues. But then...... as there are now 4 separate KB patches that all aim to deal with Windows Update and SVCHOST hogging the CPU, overheating laptops and Windows Update never actually finding updates - I won't hold my breath that they will be particularly bothered about tens of thousands of people who are forced to upgrade to Windows 10 only to find that half way through the process the upgrade hangs at 32% and rolls back to Windows 7 at which point Windows Update will refuse to find any updates and in some cases Windows 7 has been unbootable. I have spent 5 solid days trying to convince a Toshiba laptop to update to Windows 10 - and in the end I had to give up and install Windows 7 from a retail disc instead of the OEM disc and then immediately update to Windows 10 skipping all the usual 295 windows updates. A quick Google for "windows 10 upgrade stuck at 32" shows lots of people have this issue and all Microsoft can say is that it is a driver issue - one would think Windows 10 would just skip any problematic drivers and complain about them post install, but no - it just hangs with no errors and because the HDD light just flashes periodically - non technical people will probably still think it's doing something..... for about 4 hours until they finally give up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon