Reply to post:

Employer Recognised Web Development Training

wolfetone Silver badge

In all the web development jobs I've had, I've only ever been asked for examples of previous work and whether or not I have a University Degree. I don't have a degree, I never went to uni, and that has shut the door on a few jobs. But they were for the likes of KPMG, and the older I've become the more I think that I'm happier not working for Big Corp. Inc, so when I see a job asking for degrees I skip past them.

The jobs where they've liked my previous work have tended to give me a test to do first. Some say it's to see how I work, some say it's just to gauge my skills. But the jobs where they say the latter it's often been bullshit and it's just to see if I get the questions right or not.

The way I learnt web development languages was by teaching myself and building various projects. You will never stop learning when you're in a job such as web development because the technology moves on. Depending on the place you work will affect this too, as some companies like to be on the bleeding edge of technology whereas some like to be right behind the curve. In either case it's up to you to train yourself to keep your skills up to scratch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon