Reply to post: No cabling disaster compares to the wiring disaster that is inner-city Dublin

Cabling horrors unplugged: Reg readers reveal worst nightmares

Jim Howes

No cabling disaster compares to the wiring disaster that is inner-city Dublin

Seriously, we here in the UK are used to seeing BT Openreach created cables spanning spaces between pole and cable, and these things are generally (unless kelly, or some of the other contractors have had anything to do with them) reasonably tidy affairs.

Then I went on a trip to Dublin.

I have no idea who manages irish telephone cables, but some of the example birds-nest cabinets shown in this article look absurdly OCD-neat compared to ordinary building telephone wiring in Ireland's capital. From windows that can't be opened because they are in the way of the most direct path for a cable, to ten cables taking the same overall route (but ten different intermediate routes) across a wall, I couldn't find words to describe the impending disaster that is dublin telecoms wiring.

I've never worked for BT, (despite somehow ending up on the committee of the local BT staff social club) and have only ever been responsible for cat5 cabling, but seriously, what the hell is going on in Dublin? (Apart from the Guiness and whiskey, which are quite accepatable distractions, when I'm there on holiday, but probably not if I had to do a wiring job there)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon