Reply to post: This is what makes me laugh / cry...

Microsoft's new cross-platform web app framework renamed ASP.NET Core

Deltics

This is what makes me laugh / cry...

... when people tell me that .NET is a solid and stable platform.

I've been working with ASP.NET 5 for a few weeks now and although I have been impressed, the biggest source of frustration is that any attempt to find help and assistance when things don't quite work as expected is that the resources available are polluted with information about prior ASP.NET versions which - due to the differences - simply do not apply.

BUT, it's close enough that you don't realise that what you are trying to do isn't going to work until a lot of time has been wasted.

In some cases the tools don't help... e.g. when trying to send mail from a web site, you bring in the required assemblies and namespaces from System.Net which VisualStudio suggests, and your code appears to tick all the boxes as far as intellisense goes. But the build still fails with namespace and missing type errors because those things don't exist in ASP.NET 5/Core 1 (and no, targeting full .NET framework does not fix it, for some reason I've still yet to fathom but am not alone in finding).

The "5" in the name isn't the problem... it really shouldn't even be called ASP.NET. Period.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon