Reply to post: Re: Live embarassment

SpaceX: launch, check. Landing? Needs work

DropBear

Re: Live embarassment

"Why on earth should they tell you that their stage just blew up? Right away? Live?"

Because _that's_ what every single viewer was there to watch, and because they agreed to webcast it, that's why. The launch itself - as awesome as it is, and as relatively new to SpaceX as it may be - is nothing particularly new or exciting in the general context of human rocketry. The attraction is the landing, and they should know that full well.

If they really had uplink failure _right_ before touchdown, that sort of thing is not something I really can hold against them, as much as it did piss me off - broadcast technology is not rocket science, allegedly. But simply shutting up about the result with all those people waiting for some news and getting none was not cool. They didn't have to go "okay well we blew up" if they didn't want to - all they bloody had to say was "we have just received word the landing was not successful". That's all. I'm pretty sure that much was obvious to everybody involved within seconds, except all those people watching, holding their breath for some sort of result...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon