Reply to post: Sometimes you just can't get them off the floor.

Server retired after 18 years and ten months – beat that, readers!

Alistair
Windows

Sometimes you just can't get them off the floor.

HPV2200

"The hoverblock" If you've ever had to deal with one of these you know what I mean.

This particular unit had been "upgraded" to 2500 class. (CPUs, ram, backplane were all replaced). So, not particularly crazy on the uptime numbers, but -- there was an effort to remove it from the floor simply due to the fact that its power draw was very close to the mainframes's. 99% of the apps were moved off to new hardware and environments in the first 6 months. It took, however, almost 4 years to get the last three things moved off or retired. This stood out since the system was spun up on the day my second year started. Turned it off and took it off the floor 14 years later, one month shy of my anniversary date.

We had a novel netware system, compaq DL380 that when we shut it off for the last time had an uptime in the area of 3900 days. The only reason I can think of that it wasn't longer was a hard power down in the third week of my employment. A hair longer than 10 years it ran. We're still not quite sure what it was running since we dropped netware about 3 years after I started.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon