Reply to post:

UK Home Sec stumbles while trying to justify blanket cyber-snooping

Peter 26

Are you serious, you can't think of anything?

Someone reports a suspected terrorist, You look up there browsing history and message logs and find out yes this guy is definitely a terrorist. Pass it on to your colleagues to be investigated thoroughly. Maybe nothing is found, but that doesn't rule them out, you just pass it on saying needs more investigation, no corroborating on line information found.

It's a first line process that would save them lots of time and help ensure that a lot of people who need investigating are investigated with priority. That's just one thing, finding links with other people etc. priceless.

The question I believe is more a case of, just because we can do this, should we? I am of the opinion no we shouldn't, it is too much power to put in the hands of a few people who have shown they cannot be trusted to follow the gesture of law, happy to bend the law to the absolute maximum which is was never envisioned for. Power corrupts, it's one of the certain things in life. I'd rather we prioritised keeping the country safe from corruption than an improvement on fighting terrorists. I know a lot of people would disagree on that which I put down to fear mongering by the government, but that is the question it comes down to in my opinion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon