Reply to post: Re: So will 2016 be the year of Linux on the desktop?

Rejoice, Penguinistas, Linux 4.4 is upon us

Sil

Re: So will 2016 be the year of Linux on the desktop?

Except for admin work & some dev/prototyping tasks, what advantages do you see in Linux on the desktop that would counter its many disadvantages (lack of support for hardware, lack of unity, lack of apps, slowness (start), uglyness - yes I know given enough time it can be the best looking OS, subpar for gaming, ...) ?

Not every Windows PC is a zombie, and as unfashionable as it is to admit it, Windows 10 is a great OS on the desktop. Yes, privacy should be by default, but privacy configuration does not take much time.

With its price and availability, there has been no barrier to entry for Linux on the desktop for many years, at least for people willing to try it or having an interest for a free desktop OS. It's even mandatory in some cases. But by and large, it seems people have voted and I don't see any recent advances that would make people change their mind to use it as their main desktop OS, except in special situations (Tails). And many people allergic to Windows and looking for a unix-like desktop OS seem content enough with OS X.

Btw I'm a FreeBSD, Linux, Raspbian & Tails user too. Just not as my primary Desktop OS.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon