Reply to post: Becoming all too common...

Hacks rebel after bosses secretly install motion sensors under desks

Mark 85

Becoming all too common...

I'm the only IT guy doing support (pc, network, telephones) in a building (remote site, 200 miles or so from the headquarters) that is a call center of several hundred people. They've been basing performance on the call center staff on such things as attendance right down to the minute through login logs on the phones and the PC's.

Some lower manager got the idea that the IT staff (me) worked for them and tried things... like calling my boss (in headquarters) that I wasn't at my desk or was wandering around the building. It finally took some doing to teach the management here that a) I'm not the HellDesk... call them and I'll follow up if needed, b) I don't work for them, I work for the company c) If I'm not at my desk in the lab/shop, guess what.. I'm out working on a problem.

So far, IT service staff and some others have been immune to tracking. However, I've noticed that they've started watching the Marketing and Sales people closer... It's getting close to the time for me to fully retire (I'm currently semi-retired and work part-time) and I hope I can get out before they decide to play their stupid games with my job.

I'm also aware the many of the bigger companies in my area are doing this also. Must be some sort of fad or a sales blitz happened recently by one of these tracking companies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon