Reply to post: Those "Linux on Desktop" comments and the frequent mentions of Ubuntu...

Rejoice, Penguinistas, Linux 4.4 is upon us

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Those "Linux on Desktop" comments and the frequent mentions of Ubuntu...

Ease of use of an operating system is not correlated with the amount of money spent marketing it, the way Microsoft and Shuttleworth do.

Objectively speaking, all modern desktop systems are just different implementations of the same technology, the "Desktop Metaphor" invented by some Xerox people in the 70s and matured in the 80s and early 90s. There is nothing intrinsically more difficult, generally speaking, on one implementation compared to another.

Even when moving to a different metaphor, such as "smartphones", most people¹ seemed to have little trouble adjusting to it.

¹ With some anecdotal exceptions. I have been using an Android thing for a year or two now and I still use the command line (adb) to install/uninstall/enable/disable stuff and tweak things around. I'm sure you can get apps to do that, or maybe there is a menu somewhere, but it just seemed easier that way, plus it doesn't change from one phone to another.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon