Reply to post: If smart meters really helped saving energy...

UK energy minister rejects 'waste of money' smart meters claim

sysconfig

If smart meters really helped saving energy...

...the energy providers' lobbying efforts would have made sure that they are never going to see the light of day. By definition those who sell energy to us cannot have any interest in reducing the amount of energy we use; it would cut into their profits.

But they are being rolled out, so how do the energy providers benefit?

I suspect that we'll soon see variable tariffs (if they don't exist already) whereby prices go up during peak hours such as 5pm, when people are coming home and would prefer their house to be warmer than outside temperatures; early morning hours, when everybody gets up and ready for work; weekends, when most families are at home. Off-peak times are likely going to be charged at very similar prices than before, increasing overall costs. (Temporarily they may be cheaper; just wait 2-3 years and compare again.)

People who don't pay exactly on time will probably see energy supply remotely switched off, likely incurring an excessive admin fee (clicking a button or having the process automated is definitely worth £50 or so per incident, right?)

And switching providers is going to cost serious money too. "Oh you got a Fucking Stupid Meter 2000? Well sorry sir, we need to install a Seriously Dumb Counter 900 instead. That'll be £50 installation fee, but we can waive that if you commit to our overpriced 48 months contract."

Also, I'm expecting really ridiculously creative offers like: If you only use a certain amount of gas/water/electricity, it will come really cheap, but energy used beyond that allowance will be costing two arms and legs. Much like some mobile/landline tariffs out there.

I know I sound upset. That's because I've been debating this subject with EDF for well over 12 months now. So far they have failed to convince me that the smart meter brings more benefits to the customer than the energy provider. Until they succeed (which they won't), a smart meter is not going to happen unless a law forces me to have one. (Right now they are only working with guidelines and lack of nation-wide standard.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon