Reply to post: Why am I not surprised?

'You're updated!' Drupal says, with fingers crossed behind back

theOtherJT Silver badge

Why am I not surprised?

I've learned to really, really hate Drupal.

Everyone knows the worst part of software (and by extension web) development is having to maintain someone else's code.

Drupal Core - such as it is - isn't terrible. The trouble is the core doesn't really do anything except provide a horrifically complicated framework for writing extensions. By the time you've added enough modules to do what you wanted (which are frequently buggy, terribly documented, and not quite a match for what you wanted anyway) the whole thing has become a creaking pile of hacks-upon-hacks which are just waiting for an opportunity to fall over, so you end up writing even more modules to try and patch it all up.

This inevitably leads to having to read the source for all the modules you're trying to make play nice with one another, and by the time you're done with that and have written half a dozen "glue" modules to keep it all together (which you now have to maintain because there's a decent chance that some future update will break them) it's taken longer to get everything working than it would have done to write the entire site from scratch because everything you've written has had to be contorted around all the other crap that you didn't write and don't really understand.

What you're left with is something that's not only frighteningly fragile because it's made from 300 different components by 200 different authors, at least half of which haven't updated them in 2 years and probably never will, but also dog slow because the chain from "request" to "render" has to pass through every single one of those things.

</rant>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon