Reply to post: Wish this had been publicized before

iOS 9 kludged our iPhones, now give us money, claims new lawsuit

JLV

Wish this had been publicized before

iPad 4 here. Post 9.x, the poor thing is limping along. This is after going through all the settings and making sure that all the bling animations & stuff is off. Chrome is especially liable to get shut down (probably due to insufficient memory).

Vaunted tech like the ad-blocking? Only on Safari and only on iPad Air 1+ (i.e. the generation after my 3 year old kit). So, 9 basically slows down the whole thing to molasses but all its spiffy new features are hardware-locked to newer kit.

The reviews by the press did nada to identify this. The fanbois who took a look did not either.

Not upgrading is not a satisfactory answer - lots (all?) of apps stop issuing updates on older iOS.

I appreciate Apple's support for older devices, I really do. In the sense that many other phone OS, or the manufacturers, provide a very low bar to improve on. But Apple needs to get better at trimming back guzzle-guzzle processes on their older kit. Otherwise even fanbois will get annoyed enough to go elsewhere. Hopefully this lawsuit, if well publicized, will get them to be more sensitive.

And the professional press really needs to get its thumb out of their nethers, flag the bad along with the good and write more informative reviews. Not just gush stupidly about the tech on their latest-gen bling. To start with, how about bitching more loudly that most new flagship phones, not just Apple's, are now @ $800+. For a phone???

p.s. too bad about Blackberry because my fairly low spec Classic just zips along happily on BB 10.3. You wouldn't know from looking at its responsiveness that its guts are really pretty outdated chipsets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon