Reply to post: Re: Multi-camera edits

Feeling abandoned by Adobe? Check out the video editing suites for penguins

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: Multi-camera edits

What I do in Kdenlive is to put clips from each camera on different video tracks and line them up. Left alone like this track priority means that track 1 shows on top of everything else unless there's a gap.

Instead of cutting out sections of track 1 (and 2 etc.) I use the "alphain" effect whenever I want to cut away to a lower-priority track. Doing this makes it much easier to change edits because you don't have to go back and find your clipped-out bits; you can just adjust the start and end points of the effect.

Kdenlive has a split-screen preview which allows you to see four tracks at once. Once you've placed the clips and lined them up, playing through to this preview monitor means you can make notes about where you want to cut (insert alphain) before you do it.

There are disadvantages:

• rendering a video full of alpha effects is much, much slower than one made up of simple cuts
  • previewing the live effects can be clunky except on a fast machine
  • you can effectively only place one effect per clip so you do find you have to "cut" at appropriate points, though you don't have to "delete"
  • if using the split-screen preview, any clip subject to an alphain effect will disappear for the duration of that effect

Alphain seems to be the fastest alpha effect to render, but if you want something other than a simple cut it can be effective to use another effect such as "affine" which can do several things at a time.

Just my method - I'm sure there are others!

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon