Reply to post:

WTF? Been seeing a lot of recommendations for Mint Linux to newcomers, why?

TheSkunkyMonk

After many years of tinkering on the edge I pretty much moved over entirely to linux It wasn't easy nvidia optimus cards weren't really supported but I managed to make it all work in the end and started to love the experience, updates came things kept getting better and better, I discovered Gimp, blender and geany and was a happy dev with more toys than I knew what todo with.

Then it happened the greatest mistake I had ever made was about to happen, I'd happily been using my Microsoft Mouse for over ten years but as all things its was starting to give up the right click was temperamental and the mouse wheel shortly followed, I don't often say this about microsoft products but their hardware used to be top notch! So I decided to treat my self to a shiny new mouse it was a Zalman 401 quite comfortable and not to far from the feel of the familiar Microsoft counterpart, Ubuntu however was not amused one little bit, it picked up my graphics tablet fine, my midi keyboard works a treat and it didn't even think twice when I connected my external soundcard.

But a high DPI mouse, no. No sir you are not allowed one of those, well not unless you are willing to edit and recompile the kernel which to me seems way overboard and not a real solution to make a bloody mouse work!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon