Reply to post:

Microsoft in 2015: Mobile disasters, Windows 10 and heads in the clouds

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

' I myself have helped upgrade nearly 50 PC's to windows 10 in the last month because for my friends and family having a masters in softwares means i'm only qualified to do so.'

A masters in softwares[sic] means that you're only qualified to upgrade Windows?

And does upgrading to 10 actually need a master's? I thought the hard job was stopping boxes upgrading themselves.

'The only place where I've faced reluctance to 10 is when somebody reads comments like the ones that constantly feature here, in which case it takes less than 2 mins to convince them to upgrade.'

ITYF that a lot of the people making comments here are professionals that are in charge of large deployments of kit at enterprise scale. This is where MS have made lots of money. Not only do they sell the server & client operating systems and the server applications, they also sell CALS so the users are allowed to use what they've already bought. I think MS are looking to those commentards for their continued revenue stream rather than yourself.

'After all in the end who are they going to trust? Some tin foil wearing conspiracy theory nut job who says windows 10 is stealing their data or the guy whom they know that tells them exactly what data is being collected and how they can turn it off.'

A good question. Bear in mind that by your own narrative these are people who know less than you & trust you. But have you actually gone & read the new T&Cs? Have you actually understood them? Have you carefully examined them for any limitations? E.g. when they say that they record login credentials you may think that they just mean logins for MS services but where does it say that this doesn't also apply to your bank logins, your Amazon logins, your eBay logins, your work logins....?

Now try to think for a moment like a corporate lawyer; what are you going to say to an IT pro who wants to take on those T&Cs on behalf of your business? I think it'll take a lot more than 2 minutes to convince one of those guys. And don't try to tell me that this is just poor working on MS's part and because MS's corporate lawyers didn't see those T&Cs before they went online.

'the guy whom they know that tells them exactly what data is being collected and how they can turn it off'

What MS can collect is what they entitle themselves to collect in the T&Cs, not what "the guy" thinks they're collecting right now. And given that you can't hold back those updates just what makes you think MS can't update W10 to override your turning things off?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon