Reply to post: Or Log On To Other People's Steam Account Via Bing...

Gaming souk Steam spews credit card, personal info in Xmas Day security meltdown

Turtle

Or Log On To Other People's Steam Account Via Bing...

I used Bing to find the store pages for two games, and logging on to the them, I found myself logged on, simultaneously, to the Steam accounts of two different people. I accessed their "Account Details" pages and could have gone further than that but I did not actually do so. I would imagine any other search engine would have gotten me the same results.

It made me wonder if someone was logged on to my account but I wasn't able to access it. Although, as I write this, Steam is off-line entirely, I will have to check on that when they're up again, to see if anything has been changed. Steam only has my Paypal account; pretty sure that that doesn't get them any credit card info...

Whatever shitty webpages Steam creates and sets to "public" when a new account is created were set to "private" by me a long time ago. Although I once had to (temporarily) set a few to "public" to do some trading, those too were reset to "private".

Did that provide me with any protection, I wonder?...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021