Reply to post: Only the bad about Strava et al?

IT bloke: Crooks stole my bikes after cycling app blabbed my address

David Roberts
Windows

Only the bad about Strava et al?

I know that any popular app which you don't use is a waste of space and only used by idiots, but still...

There is an obvious use case for Strada which no doubt explains the popularity.

If you are serious about improving your fitness you need to set yourself targets. This is why runners time themselves and keep a record of run times. As an average at best cyclist I use a cycle computer to show me my average speed and total trip time so I have some indication if I am improving or just cruising at my current fitness level. Interesting how what seems like a slow ride is actually quite fast, and vice versa.

Technology has advanced, and now your smart phone with GPS can record your ride minute by minute and software can compare rides later. Possibly too much information but it does give you the opportunity to understand which bits of the ride you need to work on. This asumes that you ride for fitness as well as pleasure.

Logically, unless you ride often with a mixed group of riders then you have no idea how your fitness compars to others. Seeing how others perform over a similar course can give that bit of extra motivation. Most cyclists will admit that they instinctively push a bit harder if they see another cyclist in the distance or if they are overtaken by another cyclist. A bit of competitive instinct cutting through the complacency. So there is a benefit to Strada.

Anyone who publishes the start and end of their regular ride is at least naive, if not a bit of a dick.

However, there is a brand of spurious logic which goes " I know of a dick who uses Strada. So all users of Strada are dicks." Or "A lot of idiots post stupid stuff on Social Media so all users of Social Media are idiots.". This is not logic but just prejudice.

Disclaimer: I cycle and own a mobile phone but don't use Strada (yet).

TL;DR calling someone else a dick doesn't make you any less of one.

Icon --> me after a cycle ride.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon